Thursday 13 February 2014

Turn them off!! - Put them away!!

My hair straighteners are very important to me....I use them nearly every day but I do make a point of putting them away out of reach away from Becky and Ellie as soon as I have finished with them!!

I have always told the girls they will burn them if they get hold of them the wrong way....They know to stay away from them...In fact Ellie runs away from me if I have them in my hands....I've burnt myself on them a couple of times and I'm supposed to be the responsible one...

Straighteners can reach temperatures of over 220°C and then take up to forty minutes to cool down after use.

According to the Electrical Safety Council hair straighteners now account for almost 1 in 10 reported childhood burns cases....The majority of these incidents are when toddlers touch, grab or tread on the hot hair straightener plates.

If you use hair straighteners follow these top tips to make sure that you and your children stay safe from electrical burns...

Keep hair straighteners out of reach of children!
Children’s skin can be 15 times thinner than that of adults so it’s important to keep them out of reach of little feet and hands.

Use a heat proof pouch!
Hair straighteners stay hot up to forty minutes after they have been switched off. A heat proof pouch is the easiest and safest way to store a product after use.

Keep them away from skin!
Do not allow the any of the hot plates to come into contact with the face, neck or scalp when using straighteners.

Seek medical attention!
In the incident of a serious burn, seek immediate medical attention. If the hot plates comes into contact with the skin but it is not serious run the affected area under cold water. 


  1. I'm always burning myself. Luckily I'm the baby of the house but these tips are so useful. A girl that lives by me her little girl go hold of her mums straighteners (after she'd used them and turned them off and literally was out the room a minute and her little girl tried straightening her own hair and badly burnt her poor little ear. It's so important to be safe with appliances like that xx

  2. I have two little girls and my wife uses them and whilst they are currently a little too small to reach the dressing table, it won't be long before they can so it is always nice to be reminded about how dangerous they are. Thanks for posting!

  3. I get it, they they can be dangerous but what will be next? ban of irons or cookers?
    People need to use a common sense more often, really...

  4. Mine are only ever used in my bedroom and always kept out of the way of my boys. I don't think u could live with myself if my mistake caused them to get burnt.